[lbo-talk] David Brooks calls for US war crimes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 10:48:10 PST 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Brooks writes:
>

>Somehow, over the next six months, until the Iraqis
>are capable of their own defense, the Bush
>administration is going to have to remind us again and
>again that Iraq is the Battle of Midway in the war on
>terror, the crucial turning point where either we will
>crush the terrorists' spirit or they will crush ours.

Oh yeah, I recorded an interview with Ivo Daalder - ex of Clinton admin, now of Brookings, co-author of America Unbound, a book on the Bush foreign policy - yesterday for broadcast on Thursday. He thinks Bush, with his eye on the electoral calendar, will start reducing the U.S. presence in Iraq sometime in the next few months, shrinking it to Afghanistan-like proportions. There will be a Karzai-like "government," a small counter-insurgency force, and no more daily casualties. If he's right, so much for the Battle of Midway.

Doug