[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Tue Nov 4 11:05:52 PST 2003

I wrote:

>No
>other country that I know of is based on as sophisticated a conception of
>rights and law as the United States.

Doug wrote:

"And the highest incarceration rate except for Russia, right?"

How is our incarceration rate a function of our conception of rights? You think countries that have *fewer* protections against unreasonable searches incarcerate fewer people? You think all those guys in jail were falsely accused?

Americans, both the people running the place and the people being run, are criminals. That's why we have such a high incarceration rate. We love drugs, violence and larceny. We think it's our god-given right to make a dishonest buck and cheat the government out of taxes once we do.

Gosh, I love this place.

peace,

boddi