[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 12:07:13 PST 2003

boddhisatva wrote:

>How is our incarceration rate a function of our conception of rights?
>You think countries that have *fewer* protections against unreasonable
>searches incarcerate fewer people? You think all those guys in jail were
>falsely accused?

There's something deeply wrong with a society, esp one that thinks itself the freest on earth, that jails so many of its citizens. A black male faces a 25% lifetime chance of doing time. That's seriously fucked up. We do have some technical conception of "rights" and a fair trial, but entirely too many things are criminalized, and too many people are driven to "crime," either out of poverty, alienation, or madness.