[lbo-talk] David Brooks calls for US war crimes

Guilherme groschke at luminousvoid.net
Tue Nov 4 19:24:27 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Miles Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Carl Remick wrote:
> > [That sure isn't what Russ Smith of NY Press thinks/hopes. Get an eyeful of
> > his column this week, "Don’t Doubt Bush" -- Smith's a one-man fife and drum
> > corps:]
> >
> > "We are doing the work of the Almighty by whatever name you choose in
> > relieving the suffering of an abused people while battling evil on its own
> > turf. May the families of the lost find inspiration in the bravery of their
> > loved ones and solace in the rightness of the fight."
> >

> Talk about repeating history: this is a quote from 1966 about
> the U.S. in Vietnam, right? --I guess that's one point in our
> favor: the defenders of capital seem to be utterly incapable
> of learning from their mistakes. --Or is this some cagy
> Reagan-style scheme: look like an idiot so people
> underestimate you?

additionally, is anyone else creeped out by this 'battling evil on its own turf' language? i'm sure thats supposed to make the iraqis freed from baathist oppression look at us with much gratitute -- the point of the invasion was to turn their country into a battlefield -- since they are the source of evil.

-gr