[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:45:29 PST 2003

http://www.hr95.org/aiusa.amnesty.htm

Passed April 21, 2002 in Seattle Washington at the AI-USA Convention

B4: THE WAGING OF A WAR ON ILLEGAL DRUGS, KNOWN AS THE WAR ON DRUGS, AND ITS EFFECT ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL INTEGRITY Resolution passed overwhelmingly.

WHEREAS Amnesty International contributes to the observance throughout the world of human rights as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; and

WHEREAS the declaration of war on the issue of illegal drugs has created a burgeoning domestic prison population and increased numbers of displaced persons in Latin America. The US government's increase in military aid and training to governments, including but not limited to Colombia, has contributed to the manufacturing, marketing and exportation of types of weapons and devices used in torture. It has justified interference in targeted economies with concurrent degradation of the environment and an overall diminution of human rights in those countries and the USA;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT Amnesty International immediately recognize the correlation between this war and human rights abuses within and outside the U.S.A.

BE IT FURTHER resolved that at the next ICM,* the AIUSA delegation ask the ICM to call for research to be done to identify AI's position on the war on drugs because of its resultant human rights violations.

* Amnesty International's governing committee