[lbo-talk] RE: Chomsky

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Nov 5 15:21:14 PST 2003

I will quote boddi's remarks in what follows:

"Guys, you're just being loony. First, whether the population of non-violent drug offenders in prison is too high is not a matter of RIGHTS. No reasonable person would contend that our democratically-arrived-at drug laws are a violation of a misconception of RIGHTS. Clearly, the government has a valid interest in regulating possibly dangerous drugs, as indeed is the consensus within ALL developed nations."

Democratic? They needed some fucking kind of war in order to retain military infrastructure after the end of the cold war. This was the best they could do. Judges have NO discretion about sentencing. As for regulating "possibly" dangerous drugs. If that were the case, alcohol and cigarettes would be illegal.

"Second, the argument that a black person has fewer rights in America is unpersuasive. The problem is that the government is not meeting what seems to me to be its clear responsibility in providing adequate defense for those charged with crimes. It is also clear that education in this country is so inadequate that most people cannot effectively "aid in their own defense" and without serious efforts by counsel are not competent even to make pleas."

Tell you what, change skin color for a few weeks, and then write in again. I could tell you lots of stories that I can personally attest to (having been married to a black man) and having lived in this country for the last forty years...but you would pass them off as anecdotes.

"I absolutely stand by my contention that most black prisoners, indeed most prisoners, are guilty. Yes, those who are poor and victims of racism are less likely to be guilty individually, but at the same time poor communities are also likely to have inadequate law enforcement. With the large number of recidivist prisoners in America, that almost certainly means that many people in prison should probably be there for more crimes than they were convicted of."

It's not a question of guilt; it's a question of who gets arrested and charged. As I have argued before, a white man and a black man may both be equally guilty of smoking a joint, but the black man will get arrested and the white man will not.

"Chuck O's contention that what I said was racist is beneath contempt."

I don't know if you're a racist, but judging from what you write, you're an ignorant fool.

Joanna