[lbo-talk] RE: cops, and non-cops

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Nov 5 15:08:58 PST 2003

Frank Scott writes:

"but how many of us, especially those with graduate degrees, would join, or apply for jobs in either of those two sectors of our blessed political economy? especially at those moments when they - cops/soldiers - actually have to face the possibility of death?

there are assholes everywhere, but those most responsible for creating the material reality in which armed assholes perform, are those privileged to remain unarmed, because others do the shit-death work for them..."

Absolutely. I was an armed state park ranger during graduate school (English/UCBerkeley) and a security guard (graveyard shift/ Bank of America World Trade Center/ SF) while studying Latin and Greek. I found both these experiences to be very valuable in understanding what really goes on and how it's managed. No university course could have taught me what I learned on those jobs. I recommend them highly! I recommend ANY low-wage working-class job highly to any would-be intellectual. It's absolutely essential to your education.

Joanna