[lbo-talk] Queer Eye Drinking Game

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 6 00:58:09 PST 2003

Catherine said:

> I've seen probably four episodes now, and have mized feelings about it. In
some
> ways it's a trashing of every demographic it names. It's packed with
cliches
> about gay men (and lesbians, the one mention I've seen) and running on
> stereotype overdrive. At the same time it presents "straight" men as
hopeless
> tasteless and infantile.

I do find it funny and entertaining, but I also agree about the stereotypes. I know several real life gay men who would have more in common with the "straight" subjects of the show, than with the queer eye guys. And vice versa. Which makes me say that it is class which gives the show its edge, as much as sexuality. I mean who has the disposable income to spend on electric nasal hair trimmers?! I guess "Bourgeois Eye on the Blue Collar Guy" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.