[lbo-talk] Re: Dixiecrat Dean?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Nov 6 10:37:58 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "jeffrey fisher" <jfisher at igc.org> -i honestly don't think this was big and confrontational enough to be a -sister souljah moment . . . at least, not until everyone jumped on the -bandwagon to call him on it and maybe *made it into* a sister souljah -moment. -that said, it does strike me as clintonesque in its big tent appeal.

"Sister Soulja moment"? Who was he dissing when he called the Confederate Flag a racist symbol? He said (maybe clumsily in the sentence quoted, but much like many other statements made) that he wanted votes DESPITE folks waving the confederate flag. How is outreach to any group a Sister Souljah moment?

Here is what Dean said immediately after the first round:

"I want people with Confederate flags on their trucks to put down those flags and vote Democratic -- because the need for quality health care, jobs and a good education knows no racial boundaries."

What the hell is wrong with that sentiment?

I second Max's comment that this is a "Wine and Cheese Revolutionary Party" criticism of Dean.

If Deans' statement was "Clintoneque", it was Clintonesque in the best sense of Clinton's real attempts to talk about the divides of race in our society. I think the simplistic criticism of Dean on this point is truly misguided.

-- Nathan Newman