[lbo-talk] Dean: Yesterday's Real Stinker

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Thu Nov 6 11:46:22 PST 2003

An article in the Wash. Post back on 10/20 noted that Dean had not only more $$$ than the other Dems, but also had the greatest % (54%) raised from *small* (under $200) contributions. I didn't do the math, but I think it might be the largest amount in absolute terms as well. If he can get the money from small contributors and qualifying for matching funds stands in the way--well, why not?

I'm not crazy about the guy, but his campaign funds really haven't come from big contributions--so far.

Washington Post article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentI d=A50652-2003Oct19&notFound=true

Same info in a convinient tabular form (followed by some unusually opaque prose) http://www.panix.com/~hncl/HectorsJournal/archives/000293.html

Curtiss

> If Dean is raising almost all his money through small contributions,
> what is so sacred about the public finance system, whose only virture
> is supposed to be keeping big money out of the process? Our campaign
> finance system is a joke, so why is endorsing it making any
progressive statement.