[lbo-talk] best and the worst books of the 20th c

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 6 15:11:19 PST 2003

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:15:16 -0500, Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Seems to have a pretty rightest, and Anglo-American, bias. Where's Levi-
> Straus? Sein und Zeit? Freud?

Um, that's 'cuz ISI is a Right-wing quality press. This book on Russian philosophy published by them looks good, http://www.isibooks.org/books/288/288toc.html The book they have by George Nash on the conservative post WWII intelligentsia is a good read. Has a section on Strauss, as well as Richard Weaver, Herberg, Kristol, etc. http://www.isibooks.org/books/224/224pref.pdf

Their volumes on James Burnham, of which I read the chapters up till WWII and his leaving the Trotskyist movement and on another ex-leftist, Frank Meyer (Meyer was a Daily Worker writer and CPUSA official) who ended up writing for National Review, as well, are quite good. Esp. coming from writers who are rightists and have no left apostasy, they have a good feel for the Old Left.

On the worst book list, Margaret Mead, was rubbished in, "The Road to Malpsychia: Humanistic Psychology and Our Discontents, " by Joyce Milton, the co-author w/ Ron Radosh of the Rosenberg book.Lotsa psycho-biographical gossip in the Milton book on Mead and Franz Boas. Focuses on Maslow and Carl Rogers.

-- Michael Pugliese