[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 7 11:31:46 PST 2003

mike larkin wrote:

>I agree completely. This sort of stuff is just totally destructive,
>a textbook example of left thought policing. When I'm in meetings
>with other lefties, they spend half their time "correcting"
>incorrect utterances. You say "black," they say "African American,"
>you say "pet owner," they say "pet guardian," you say "handicapped,"
>they say "physically challenged." Everybody leaves feeling great
>about their verbal prowess, but nothing has been accomplished.

Uh, the Confederate flag is a bit more loaded than the question of "black" vs. African American (or African-American - modifier or hybrid?).

I love the explanation that it's just flipping the bird to Yankee liberals. What do Yankee liberals mean but race-mixing promoters of civil rights? Sure they can be hypocrites, but who sent in federal troops to desgregate southern schools?