[lbo-talk] Re: dean and rebel flags

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 11:48:39 PST 2003

> No kidding. I find it very hard to believe that
anyone doesn't
> realize that black people read it as such,

I believe I know a couple people who don't. But I'd imagine the vast majority do, and would score quite high on any reasonable racism scale.

-- Luke

* * *

Actually, not only do people not know it, they honestly and non-disingenuously deny it. It's like the Indian mascots that I mentioned. It's obvious to an outsider that Chief Wahoowa of the Illini or the masctots of the Tribe or the Skins are racist, but tell that to a fan. You will offend them and get a puzzled argument.

> mike larkin wrote:
>
> >I agree completely. This sort of stuff is just
> totally destructive,
> >a textbook example of left thought policing

Doug:

> Uh, the Confederate flag is a bit more loaded than
> the question of
> "black" vs. African American (or African-American -
> modifier or
> hybrid?).
>
> I love the explanation that it's just flipping the
> bird to Yankee
> liberals. What do Yankee liberals mean but
> race-mixing promoters of
> civil rights? Sure they can be hypocrites, but who
> sent in federal
> troops to desgregate southern schools?

Been a while since then. Southern schools are now far more desegreated than Northern ones. Uncontentiously so, I might add. Whereas here in Shytown or Detroit of Boston . . .

I think that what the good ol boys see in the Rebel flag is what I said, a symbol of redneckhood, good times, manly self-assertion, twangy music, cool guns, fast cars, cold beer, and big-titted women married to yer best friend. . . . It's really much more sexist than racist. The Northern libruls are the pointy haids who look down on us for likin these things and wanta take our guns away and take the Bible out of the schools, not so much who promote race mixin and the colored marryin your sister.

jks