[lbo-talk] Re: Dean and rebel flags

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 7 12:09:32 PST 2003

Dear List:

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> The issue at hand isn't whether or not the Confederate flag carries racist symbolism (though for some it does), it is about Dean's comment concerning the Dems reaching out to those who display that flag.

Although I am from the North, my boyfriend is from a small town in South Carolina just outside of Columbia. He says it would be hard to find someone in the South who didn't know that the rebel flag had racist meanings. He said it was often used as a symbol of intimidation by whites, kind of a permitted white hood/burning cross image.

Dean's comment was a politician's triang------ulation: reach out to the group you want to conect with, show your solidarity, then apologize and placate your base. It was about as spontaneous and unplanned as a Bach fugue.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister