[lbo-talk] The Meatrix

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Nov 7 17:38:58 PST 2003

Quoting Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net>:

> For me, the best
> ending was the first: Neo flying into and then out of frame, followed by
> Rage Against The Machine's "Wake Up."

There's no question the first was the best. If I had one critique, it would be that the whole dialectic of identity between Neo and Smith gets short-circuited in M2 and M3. The flip side of Smith demoniacally possessing humans ought to have been the angelic presence of Sati in the Machine City; that would've opened up all sorts of fascinating narrative possibilities.

Well, we can still hope Peter Jackson got the third Ring movie right.

-- DRR