[lbo-talk] The Meatrix

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 20:03:01 PST 2003

> It was actually better than I expected. More like, "Humanity + AIs run
corporate
> campaign against Machines, win real wage increase". Sure, it's full of
gorgeous
> Northamerican speculative forms which never seem to develop into their
> post-American content (a fancy way of saying, it doesn't really pick up
the ball
> where "Neuromancer" left it), but it's still impressive as the first
overtly
> Leftwing information age blockbuster series ever made. Three out of four
stars.

> -- DRR

I dunno, Dennis. Yes, I agree, "Revolutions" is better than "Reloaded" (which is a weird comparison as they are really one film), and the Battle for Zion and Neo in the Machine City were beautiful to see. I even liked the Final Battle b/w Neo & Smith -- much better than the boring though brilliantly staged Burly Brawl in "Reloaded." But I watched the first chapter last night, and it is so tight and so on target that it's in a different universe from the subsequent 2 chaps. The Wachowskis had it all on the table in front of them, and they blew it, in my op. For me, the best ending was the first: Neo flying into and then out of frame, followed by Rage Against The Machine's "Wake Up."

DP