[lbo-talk] Re: power of tv

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 07:09:35 PST 2003

Chuck Grimes wrote (about Doug's appearance on PBS' *Now*):

But it did seem as if I could almost hear words like neoliberal capitalist pig hegmon, imperialistic adventurism, cowboy diplomacy, dot-com rip-off, snake oil economics---running around in the back of your mind, while you actually said very sensible sounding things.

Good going.

Yup, it was a finely nuanced presentation and the on-screen graphics displayed to support your skepticism regarding the 'productivity revolution' and other bits of common wisdom were a nice touch.

Also, it was amusing to watch you being interviewed by David Brancaccio, the host of public radio's sometimes just-plain-silly business and economics show, *Marketplace*.

Brancaccio's probably a nice enough fellow (his host personna is certainly gentlemenly) but the aggressively cute and conventional tone of his radio program (an NPR and PRI staple) can be hard on the teeth, stomach and brain.

I can scarcely imagine an ideologically more opposite interviewer and interviewee pair.

DRM