[lbo-talk] Oberlin College: Hell on Earth

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Nov 10 10:04:27 PST 2003

Brian Siano wrote:

> Just where the _hell_ are Frontpage finding these "traditional
> Americans?" I mean, everywhere I go, it's sort of a truism that straight
> men usually _like_ the idea of women making love to one another. I like
> to think of this as a gallant gesture on the part of us hets; while many
> of us try our best, we have to face the regrettable fact that many of
> our sex aren't very good at pleasuring women. So the thought of women
> turning to each other fills many of us with a warm, indulgent, "we
> understand" sort of feeling. In fact, I'd go far as to say that we
> actually _enjoy_ the thought of women turning to one another, and
> finding that loving, sympathetic, and above all _understanding_ love
> that we've been seeking in our own lives. "Good for them," we think.
> Especially when it involves baby oil.

> But here are the _Frontpage_ people, asserting that a college where
> women are finding this wonderful, picturesque, and
> frequently-well-photographed love is regarded as a "version of Hell" by
> "most traditional Americans." What are they talking about? Have we men
> been missing something? Are there truly men out there so hateful, so
> sadistic, so hating of women that they would regard the beautiful
> spectacle of women loving women as "hell?" Are there truly men who, when
> presented with a photo essay on two innocent cheerleaders discovering a
> mutual love far deeper than they'd previously suspected, would react
> with screams of psychic torment? Are there truly men who psychologically
> crippled that, when shown a film of Lucy and Katy and Brooke breaking
> out the sex toys and K-Y jelly while their husbands are away, they
> clutch their hands over their eyes and wail their spiritual desolation
> to the skies? Are there truly men for whom the spectacle of a
> double-ended-dildo thrusting in and out of the hot, dewy regions of
> Cynthia and Kaylee and the twins Naoko and Kiuchi inspires the despair
> of a Godless universe?

Something tells me that Oberlin will put this line about "sexual licentiousness" in their future brochures about the school. Nothing like a liberal arts college with a sexy reputation.

This FrontPage article just shows how utterly out of touch many conservatives are with most Americans. As Brian points out, many Americna men are down with the idea of women getting it on with each other. Just look at most porno or TV shows like "Fifth Wheel."

The conservatives are still fighting a culture war which they lost a long time ago. I really enjoy rubbing this fact in their faces. If I'm feeling really cocky, I just cite the numbers about the billions of dollars spent on porn every year.

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)