[lbo-talk] The machine hive mind of the right

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Nov 10 12:16:26 PST 2003

> Meanwhile the aging Terminator, with hennaed hair drags his titanium
> hunches toward Sacramento to be re-tooled as a giant mining machine of
> the Right. After the Inaugural penetration, there will immediately
> follow an onslaught of the capitalist pig sentinels, swarm after swarm
> of machine locusts pouring into the last crumbling shelters of
> humanity, ravaging every scrap of life in a fantastic insect orgy of
> greed, avarice, and destruction. In this world as in the Matrix the
> only organized resistance is the stalemate of a collaborating Neo
> liberal legislature, while the DuraCell humans feeding the machines,
> sleep on in their cocoons dreaming they are some where else.
>
> Chuck Grimes

Hell Chuck -- you should get to write & direct "The Matrix 4." What a scenario!

I've finally figured out what went wrong with the two final "Martix" chaps. Joel Silver and Warner Bros. loved the special effects of the first (and superior) film, but weren't all that crazy about the philosophical/political chatter which rings even truer now than it did in '99. So, they pony up millions to ensure that the films (esp "Revs") dazzle the jaded eyes of filmgoers, banking on the fact that with worldwide release, ad tie-ins and DVD Special Editions, they would reap a hefty profit. Meantime, to placate the Wachowskis and those geeks (like me) who took the first film seriously, they give them a smaller budget to do "The Animatrix" shorts which contain all manner of conceptual and philosophical nuggets deemed unfit for the larger commercial enterprises.

Still, as I've said, "Revs" does offer some beautiful visual sequences, only minus any kind of understandable philosophical framework. And that ending with the sunrise -- what the fuck was that? And how do the machines survive without human batteries?

DP