[lbo-talk] Re: Greens: National vs. State?

nathanne at nathannewman.org nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Nov 10 21:06:12 PST 2003

>>As progressives have demonstrated in the last few years, it's possible
> to get real wins at >>the state level (e.g., living wage and smart
> growth campaigns).
>
> A quick clarification: as far as I know, all of the living wage wins
> and the majority of smart growth wins have been at the city/county
> level, not the state level. The point I was trying to make is that
> outside of Congress, where it's incredibly hard to get anything passed,
> we've had some pretty impressive accomplishments -- enough to make state
> assembly races a powerful opportunity for progressive candidates.

Actually, California passed a living wage law for the state-- except that f----- Davis vetoed the bill as one of his last acts as Governor.

But San Francisco did just pass its citywide minimum wage of $8.50 an hour and other states are passing increased statewide minimum wages. So much of the energy of the city level is pushing up to the statewide realm.

-- Nathan Newma