[lbo-talk] Why not Lieberman?

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 11 17:55:24 PST 2003

> Yes, he sucks on foreign policy, and maybe
> that's why people would not vote for him, but the other differences are so
> large I'm still trying to figure out why he gets singled out, such that it
> would be okay to elect Bush as long as Lieberman didn't get the

> Presidency?

> -- Nathan Newman

I would probably vote for Lieberman, though it wouldn't do any good. He wouldn't win, because he can't distinguish himself from Bush rhetorically on the things that matter--ie the war in Iraq, the economy, etc. As ChuckO suggested, no one who really wants a Republican would vote for such a watery one as Lieberman. And no one who wants a real Democrat--which at this moment means someone like Bill Clinton--will vote for him either.

He also wouldn't win because he isn't ruthless. Dean seems ready to bully the Repugs in ways they deserve and which could work. Lieberman will only play fair and nice.

One thing I like about Dean is that he never gave into the vicious homophobia of the right, whereas Lieberman, after the Supreme Court overturned the Texas sodomy law, made a point of saying that he was "opposed to gay marriage, but stood firm against discrimination of all kinds." Please.

And then there is the question of the middle east. I can't imagine Lieberman doing anything even marginally materially different than Bush, given his unwavering support for our holy wars.

I don't know enough about Dean's time as governor, to be sure. But, like I said, I am voting for the anti-Bush, however shortsighted that seems. The political realm seems not to be a place where many genuinely good things are likely to happen in the short run, so I will be voting just to prevent really really bad things from happening.

Christian