[lbo-talk] Rudeness

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Nov 12 07:47:12 PST 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> Yeah, that was the problem. We were rude to Franco. If
> we had said "please," and "thank you," and "excuse
> me," it would made all the difference. "Would you
> please hand over the power? We'd like to have a
> Republic with worker's cooperatives, thank you very
> much. Excuse us, will you please stand up against that
> wall? Much obliged! Would you like a cigarette? A
> blindfold? Aim, ready . . . " And the Greek Civil War
> was also due to lack of civility.
>
> Whatta moron Kristoff is. . . .

Nation Books put out a collection of essays from the '90s called _Left Hooks, Right Crosses_. (Yes, an oft mentioned former contributor was the editor.) There was a good essay titled "Seduced by Civility: Political Manners and the Crisis of Democratic Values" by Benjamin DeMott. Nice take on why, say, sit-ins would be a civility issue (they're bad), but carpet bombing peasants wouldn't.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!