[lbo-talk] Anybody But Bush?

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 10:17:14 PST 2003

I think Cockburn is right that it was Nader who put a spark under Gore and made him competitive in 2000. But Nader should have dropped out in the last two weeks when it became obvious how close it was. There was this idea then that the temporary "creative destruction" of a Bush victory would help progressives over the long term. That was a catastrophic mis-judgement. Most likely the changes of the last few years are irreversible.

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu> wrote:A vote for Gore in 2000 was a vote to confirm an incumbent administration, and a vote for Bush was a vote for something worse but not substantially different. So a vote for Nader was a way to reject the incumbency.

I'll vote against incumbency in 2004, as I did in 2000. --CGE