[lbo-talk] Anybody But Bush?

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:06:45 PST 2003

You seem to imply that Clinton was somehow coming from the left with a progressive agenda which was modified into a realistic posture once he won the election. In fact Bill Clinton, via the Democratic Leadership Council was a representative of the liberal wing of the powerful, well organized business elites who control this country - the kindler and gentler among the robber barons. It is a misconception to see him either as a 'sell-out' or a 'realist' he was, rather, a facilitator of the neo-liberal, Third Way agenda of post-Cold War Liberalism which successfully implemeted much of the Bush 41 wish list agenda items especially in the area of free trade (NAFTA/WTO) and proscription of civil liberties - (the Anti-Death Penalty and Effective Death Penalty Act) in which prefigured the PATRIOT Act. I don't think the attacks on Clinton were evidence of his attempt to gain concessions, that was just the usual gangsterism that has always charaterized Democratic and Republican Party rivalry, to be sure, it reached rare heights under Clinton, but it was not anything new. Indeed the 1992 campaign was notable for the amount of money that was given to both candidates by the same usual suspect big money interests, like financier Jackson Stephens and Goldman Sachs (from whence sprung Clinton's Treasury Secretary) who had obviously made the calculation that whichever horse won would carry their water to a greater or lesser extent.

Joe W.