[lbo-talk] Dirty Hands

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 07:59:16 PST 2003

Yoshie wrote:

"Barring another terrorist attack to the magnitude of 9.11.01, Bush is finished, due to the quagmire in Iraq and "the worst record on jobs for any president since Herbert Hoover led at the beginning of the Great Depression..... The Democratic victory in the 2004 presidential election is virtually certain."

Wow, can I have some of what you're smoking? This assumes that issues have much to do with who wins elections. The Dems would have cleaned up in '02 by this logic. The fear generated by the blowback from hawkish policies, along with the enabling of the GOP agenda by the media, pretty much guarantees a Republican victory next year, in my view. (The Republican dominance in the South, and the virtual lock on the Electoral College this produces, is another factor.) The economy is irrelevant. Look at Sharon in Israel. That's the emerging model for the U.S.

Chalmers Johnson is right. The U.S.'s descent into militarism and oligarchy will end when the U.S. does.