[lbo-talk] Dirty Hands

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 13 09:57:19 PST 2003

Mike: Wow, can I have some of what you're smoking? This assumes that issues have much to do with who wins elections. The Dems would have cleaned up in '02 by this logic. The fear generated by the blowback from hawkish policies, along with the enabling of the GOP agenda by the media, pretty much guarantees a Republican victory next year, in my view. (The Republican dominance in the South, and the virtual lock on the Electoral College this produces, is another factor.) The economy is irrelevant. Look at Sharon in Israel. That's the emerging model for the U.S. Chalmers Johnson is right.  The U.S.'s descent into militarism and oligarchy will end when the U.S. does.

WS reply: I pretty much agree with the above. The only two things that may do Bush in in 2004 are (i) his dittohead appeal that makes him immensely popular among suburban and lower middle class white men, but is irritating to everyone else; and (ii) the capitalist class may want to have a new, more tolerable to foreign investors face speaking for the empire.

However, if the Busheviks decide to remedy the faltering public image of their Fuhrer, say, by orchestrating another anthrax scare around the Labor Day - Bush 2004 victory is virtually certain.

Wojtek