[lbo-talk] Let Ralph Debate in 2004

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Nov 13 08:44:41 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Joseph Wanzala wrote:

> the historical evidence has shown that one area where the Democrats are very
> bit as hawkish and insane as any Republican administration is Foreign
> Policy. I would urge you, rather than seeking drugs fixes, to go and do some
> homework on US policy in Africa and South America under the Democrats.
> Indeed, Clinton presided over a cynical US policy in Africa's Great Lakes
> region, contributing heavily to the tragic situation that has been unfolding
> in the Congo and Rwanda in the last decade. In Colombia the Clinton
> administration assiduously pursued the war on drugs (interchangeable and now
> being conflated with the war on terror).

I agree with you: U. S. foreign policy under Clinton was nothing to be proud of. However, Bush is clearly an order of magnitude worse. Clinton strategy: containment of Iraq via sanctions. Bush strategy: invade and occupy the country. Are you seriously saying these two strategies are equally militaristic?

Miles