[lbo-talk] gun ownership (was: Democratic Communism

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Nov 13 11:00:24 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> writes:

> What this country needs is (i) sensible gun ownership control
> that limits the access to the lethal weapons for people
> deemed dangerous ...

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the US already has this. Via the NICS "instant check" and associated state-run programs, felons, those convicted of domestic abuse crimes, those with "mental illness" ... are prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms. There's a long list of prohibited people, probably more than even you would "deem dangerous" ...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/prohibitions.htm

> and (ii) gun fanatic control that keeps gun crazies from
> imposing their warped mind-set on the rest of society.

I'm not sure I see that in the US; if anything, the imposition going on is from the "anti-gun crazies" ...

Which country were you talking about?

/jordan