[lbo-talk] gun ownership (was: Democratic Communism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:04:47 PST 2003

Jordan:
> I'm pretty sure you'll find that the US already has this. Via the
NICS
> "instant check" and associated state-run programs, felons, those
> convicted of domestic abuse crimes, those with "mental illness" ...
are
> prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms. There's a long
list
> of prohibited people, probably more than even you would "deem
dangerous"

With the exception of those who renounced their US citizenship, the list looks just fine to me. I particularly like the domestic violence category. The point is, as always, enforcement. As I understand, some states or even dealerships simply do not enforce these prohibitions. What is more these prohibitions are not at all enforced at the so-called gun shows, which is where the cranks get their weapons. I also understand that the piece of nazi shit for attorney general Ashcroft stopped or gutted the enforcement of these prohibitions. I also understand that the so-called "congress" is about to pass if it has not already passed that exempt gun manufacturers from any product liability - an exemption that no other industry enjoys see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2918291.stm

As to the NRA blackmailing people see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3238513.stm

The point I making is not against gun ownership but against people who see guns as the "American icon" .

Wojtek