[lbo-talk] Let Ralph Debate in 2004

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:49:44 PST 2003

I meant fulsome as in:-

fulsome adj. copious, cloying, 1. a: characterized by abundance: copius <describes in ~ detail> b: generous in amount, extent, or spirit c: being full and well developed.

as opposed to 2: aesthetically, morally or generally offensive. I think it was in the 17th century when the word was a generalized term of disparagement. Fulsome became a point of dispute when sense 1, thought to be obsolete in the 19th century, began to be revived inthe 20t. The dispute was exacerbated by the fact that the large dictionaries of the first half of the century missed the begginings ofthe revival. Sense 1 has not only been revived but has spread in its application and continues to do so. The chief dange for the reader of 'fulsome' is ambiguity. Unless the context is made very clear, the reader or hearer cannot be sure whether such an expression as 'fulsome praise' is meant in sense 1 b. or in sense 2. (Merriam-Websters Collegiate Dictionary 10th Ed.)