[lbo-talk] We Bring Good Things to Light :-) was Alterglobaloney etcetera

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 14 12:43:16 PST 2003

Curtiss Leung wrote:

> The GE slogan was either "We bring good things to life" or
> "We bring good things to light." To me that's quite different
> from "Another world is possible," although that still doesn't
> have enough...well, bite for my tastes.
>
> Possible variations:
> "Another world--by any means necessary!"
> "Another world: necessary and inevitable"
> (Alternate: "A world beyond Capitalism: necessary and inevitable")
>
> eh, still weak...

Very good. Probably it was the light, dealing as it did with electricity, but then, those clever boys at GE might have depended on viewers responding to the assonance of "life" and "light."

Considering the emphasis on this list over the last several months on the illiteracy and cultural degradation of everyone but us in the u.s., perhaps the slogan will be "We bring light to the Unenlightened Illiterates full of Bad Taste" out there.

Nah. Too wordy, and it ain't got that swing.

Carrol