[lbo-talk] Alterglobalization (was Beyond Globophobia)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Nov 14 13:11:46 PST 2003

From: Dwayne Monroe

In Doug's NATION article he wrote:

Instead of chasing nationalist chimeras, why not go "globalization" one better? Many activists in the wrongly named "antiglobalization" movement still talk locally, even as they're acting and thinking globally.

... "Antiglobalization" is indeed the wrong word.

-clip-

==================

One day I woke up and realized that I'm a globalist.

-clip- I'm married to a woman from S. Korea so now a strong Korean sub-text has been added to my thinking and Korean artifacts to my living space.

-clip-

There's a Samsung PDA in my pocket, a German car in the driveway and a French electronica CD in the Japanese (made in China) CD player whose firmware codeset was written by Indian and American developers.

So no, not anti-globalization but alter-globalization. We should become more profoundly global. Yes.

^^^^^^^

CB: "We" on the Left have been more "global" than the Right. Marx and Engels founded The International, a Communist Party. Our song is the "Internationale" ( "There's a better world in birth"). Our slogan is "Workers of the World, Unite". We are Proletarian Internationalists. The CP paper is the "People's _World_"; was "The Daily World". "Think global. Act Local" is a Left slogan. World Government is a commie idea. The UN is a commie conspiracy. "Around the World in 80 Days" was written by one of the Hollywood Ten ( just kidding :>)). Gorbachev articulated "Universal Human Values". Your PDA, car, CD, etc. were made by workers ( "employees" ) around the world. Marx said the thing is to change the _world_.

I just wanted to claim it for "us". I know that history or communism is not a place to look for slogans to sway Americans.

Is there a way to merge "global" and "Everyday People's Planet" without being dorky ? A Planet for People before Profits Probably too dorky .

"It's Our Planet, Goddamn it ". Little too undorky.

What's the matter with "Think Global. Act Local" ?

Anyway, "we" were globalists first.