[lbo-talk] Thailand to extend loans to neighbours: Thaksin

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Nov 15 08:22:09 PST 2003

THE TIMES OF INDIA

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2003

Thailand to extend loans to neighbours: Thaksin

AP

BAGAN, Myanmar: Thailand will extend grants and loans to its poorer neighbours and launch a series of projects in areas such as tourism and farming to promote regional economic development, the country's prime minister said on Wednesday.

Thaksin Shinawatra made the comments in a speech to the leaders of Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar at a regional summit in the northern Myanmar town of Bagan, 510 km northwest of the capital Yangon.

"I would like to see the region progress," he said, adding that Thailand is ready to offer unilateral grants and loans to neighbouring countries.

Myanmar Prime Minister Gen Khin Nyunt agreed in principle to accept Thai currency loans to buy Thai goods while Laos and Cambodia would be offered similar loans, according to The Nation , a Thai newspaper.

Thaksin said Thailand accounted for 91 per cent of the total gross domestic product for the four countries and must take the lead in pushing development. "We just need the commitment of all our 138 million people," he said, referring to the cumulative population.

"Thailand cannot prosper alone," he said.

Copyright © 2003 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.