[lbo-talk] Re: Anybody But Bush for Empire

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 15 19:59:59 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Why bother electing a politician if you are capable of "stringing
>him up next week"?
>
>Once the Democrats win the presidential election in 2004, wait for a
>chorus of liberals -- including former leftists -- who want us all
>to shut up and "Give Dean a Chance."

As I remember, Clinton's honeymoon with the left, such as it is, lasted somewhere between 0 and 90 days. Much of the point of electing a Dem is to promote disillusionment, which encourages radical action. Sure some liberals will be indulgent, but why do you care what they do? You seem to have no use for them now - why would it be any different then? I'm sure Krugman would write "Give Dean A Chance" columns and we could pillory him for it. That'd be the right time to write a Cockburnesque antiliberal polemic; right now, it's a waste of energy.

Doug