[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

marc rodrigues marc36 at graffiti.net
Sun Nov 16 07:40:01 PST 2003

>Most workers in the USA are in favor of trade unions, universal
>health care, and so on, and they would be happy to see the end of US
>foreign interventions, be they military, economic, or political.

really? then i guess all those people in giants stadium who started chanting "usa, usa" in glee as the bombs dropped on afghanistan on october 7 weren't working people?

i could buy the part about universal health care, and even to some extent the part about unions. but since when are "average people" in the u.s. opposed to military intervention?

http://www.prospect.org/print-friendly/print/V12/20/stossel-s.html

Whether intended or not, the timing of the air strikes had a potent effect on fans. When the crowd of 64,000 waiting to watch the Philadelphia Eagles play the Arizona Cardinals at Veterans Stadium in Pennsylvania saw Bush's announcement of the strikes broadcasted on the big screen, they erupted in cheers. And the news wires carried reports of men watching football in bars and commenting on the retaliation: "[The Taliban] wanted to play the game, and now the score is tied," one Rhode Island man said. "It's good. We should [hit them] again."

-- _______________________________________________ Graffiti.net free e-mail @ www.graffiti.net Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for just US$9.95 per year!