[lbo-talk] Is There Anything To This Peak Oil Business?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 16 11:32:58 PST 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Of course, common sense tells us that oil is not
> forever. Still, is the peak oil-ist description of
> the problem on-target?
>
> Anyone have informed thoughts?
>

> DRM

I think this came up onlist a few years ago; you should check the archives. Deffeyes's book Hubbert's Peak is a good exposition of this. He's a geologist who uses a plausible statistical model to predict a worldwide peak in oil production no later than 2010. His model quite nicely accounts for the rise and continuing decline of oil production in the U. S. As with all statistical models, the model only as good as the assumptions used to create it; however, it's not crackpot-green propaganda.

We'll find out whether or not he's correct soon.

Miles