[lbo-talk] RE: What's at stake

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 17 06:13:20 PST 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> Chuck G writes:
>
> "Nothing. I am voting for Bush. And I don't intend to blow thirty
> minutes doing it."
>
> It doesn't make human sense to act or act out from despair or rage. Maybe it makes political sense. I don't know. I'm very ignorant about such things.

No, it doesn't make political sense either. But while Chuck carried it over the top as it were, there has been a series of threads on this list over the last 5 months or so on literacy, u.s. culture ("palate-challenged" one poster called it), etc. In a recent post I offered the comparison of Lewis & Clark sitting down and bewailing how forbidding the Rockies there. "Criticism" of the U.S. public is pointless; we simply need to regard the culture of the working class (about 85% of the population) as our terain of struggle rather than something to moan about.

Carrol