[lbo-talk] Iraqi shoppers beware (especially 11 year olds!)

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Nov 17 10:36:05 PST 2003

We will find you, we will hunt you down.

U.S. Soldiers Kill Three Shopping Iraqis

5 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - A U.S. patrol opened fire Monday on a group of people in Baghdad's gun market, killing three, after the soldiers apparently mistook the gunfire of customers testing weapons for an attack, a witness and an Iraqi police officer said.

Four people also were wounded, hospital and police officials said. The dead included an 11-year-old boy.

In Iraq (news - web sites), it is legal for a family to own one gun for self-defense. That weapon is usually an AK-47 assault rifle. The gun market, however, is illegal and has been raided repeatedly by U.S. soldiers, who have tried to close it down.

Also Monday, two U.S. soldiers were killed in separate incidents near the town of Balad, 45 miles north of Baghdad, the military said.