[lbo-talk] Campaigning vs. Voting

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Nov 18 00:12:06 PST 2003

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Campaigning vs. Voting Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Tahir Wood wrote:

>The true political cul de sac: thinking that you can ever get rid of
>the right by voting for the left.

Three questions: 1) Who actually thinks that? The election is not even here and yet it is the dominant topic on your list - who to vote for, how to support a particular candidate, etc. It is a matter of inference on my part, not an unreasonable one I think.

2) Is it possible to get rid of the right some other way? 3) If so, how? Doug

My own view is that one needs to discredit the electoral process by rather spreading ideas on how to create a system of dual power, so that eventually very few people go to the polls but many participate in other forms of political organisation. It would at least be nice to see some discussion of the latter possibilities. I have no problem with an individual going off to vote in an election - I may even do it myself one day (well not any day soon) - but I do question the amount of attention being given to this matter. As for getting rid of the right, that cannot happen within the present notion of political legitimacy. That notion itself can only be destroyed by creating an alternative one. BTW I don't see what is "ridiculous" (someone else's post) about a boycott movement - many Americans and others don't go to the polls anyway because they don't see the point, and they've got a point there. Tahir