[lbo-talk] Re: republicans "stealing" elections

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 18 15:27:39 PST 2003

frank scott wrote:

>sad to hear intelligent people still buying into this democratic party
>myth of florida being "stolen" by repubs...in view of the corrupt
>nature of what is called american democracy under the two party system,
>accusing one of these of stealing from the other is like accusing the
>colombian drug mafia of "stealing' from the italian drug mafia...

Is this a Dem party myth? The Dems rolled right over in Florida, and party tops never mention it. The base does, and that's one of the reasons behind the Dean phenom. But if you don't think there's something wrong with the way the election was conducted in Florida, and the awful supreme ct decision, then you've carried your monopartisanship way too far for my taste. What, are we just supposed to shrug and say "Ya can't fight city hall"? Cynicism, as Horkheimer said, is the worst kind of conformity.

Doug