[lbo-talk] Re: republicans "stealing" elections

Tue Nov 18 18:05:18 PST 2003

Perhaps it is my naiveté, but I don't understand why we have any expectations that the Dems, Reps, courts or "city hall" will ensure free, fair and unfettered elections. If I remember my history correctly, wasn’t there some little document called the Declaration of Independence that said something like..."governments derive their powers from the consent of the governed." If the governed is not there to watch over our elections, then how can we cast any stones? Shouldn't the governed take it upon themselves to ensure that governments are operating in the governed's best interests, including holding fair elections?

Steven

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 3:28 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: republicans "stealing" elections

frank scott wrote:

>sad to hear intelligent people still buying into this democratic party
>myth of florida being "stolen" by repubs...in view of the corrupt
>nature of what is called american democracy under the two party system,
>accusing one of these of stealing from the other is like accusing the
>colombian drug mafia of "stealing' from the italian drug mafia...

Is this a Dem party myth? The Dems rolled right over in Florida, and party tops never mention it. The base does, and that's one of the reasons behind the Dean phenom. But if you don't think there's something wrong with the way the election was conducted in Florida, and the awful supreme ct decision, then you've carried your monopartisanship way too far for my taste. What, are we just supposed to shrug and say "Ya can't fight city hall"? Cynicism, as Horkheimer said, is the worst kind of conformity.