[lbo-talk] Fwd: How do you thank 80,000 workers?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 18 15:35:49 PST 2003

Date: 18 Nov 2003 21:50:07 -0000 From: "Working Families e-Activist Network" <peoplepower at aflcio.org> To: "" <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: How do you thank 80,000 workers? Reply-To: notice-reply-e7eavj5nmj at unionvoice.org

Nov. 18, 2003

Usually we ask for your activism to win the fights we share. But today we're asking for something different. We're asking you to give thanks to the 80,000 grocery workers in California, West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio who are holding the line for health care and good jobs--theirs and ours--by making a small contribution so their Thanksgiving will be a little less bleak. Please click on the link below to donate or keep reading for more information. https://secure.ga3.org/08/thankgroceryworkers/nY11_1x51s1wa

Striking workers--like Rafael Morga, on the job 30 years with Ralphs supermarket in Chino, Calif.--are sacrificing their paychecks to win the battle against employer health care cutbacks--a fight in which we all have a stake.

These workers need our help. The strike fund dollars they receive from their union help but can't stretch to cover even the basic needs of their working families.

As we approach Thanksgiving, give thanks for the stand these workers are taking...and GIVE just a little to help support them.

For just $15, you can provide a turkey that will feed the family of a striking grocery worker this Thanksgiving. (Every additional $15 you give helps another family.) And you'll let them know you are grateful for the sacrifice they are making. Please click below to make your donation. https://secure.ga3.org/08/thankgroceryworkers/nY11_1x51s1wa

The grocery chains are demanding the workers accept what amounts to a 75 percent cut in health coverage for new workers and a 50 percent cut for current employees. Like employers across America, they are trying to boost their profits at the expense of workers and workers' families. If the grocery chains win, we'll all have a harder time holding on to the health care benefits we've bargained and fought for.

Please take a moment today to make a secure donation so workers holding the line for health care can have a great Thanksgiving.

Donate: https://secure.ga3.org/08/thankgroceryworkers/nY11_1x51s1wa

Spread the word: http://www.unionvoice.org/ct/O71_1x5197wy//

More information: http://www.unionvoice.org/ct/Od1_1x5197wU//