[lbo-talk] Campaigning vs. Voting

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Nov 18 23:43:17 PST 2003

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:21:01 +0500 From: uvj at vsnl.com Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Campaigning vs. Voting To: lbo <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

What kind of mass popular movements are possible in the developed countries today? I suppose an answer to that question largely depends on the framework within which the world is viewed.

Tahir: I think we've seen quite a bit of anti-capitalist activity in the "developed countries" lately. Take Genoa for example, a sea of people with very many red flags. In which third world country have you seen something like that recently?

e.g. If "Leninist"views are correct and the resilience of imperialism in the "First World" depends largely on the exploitation of the "Third World" ("super profits etc.), then there appears to be no basis to believe that the Left can grow in the "First World." Ulhas

Tahir: Yes, but only if you accept that hoary old theory. BTW I believe that the late sixties represented a high water mark in class struggles in the US, at a time when workers had a higher standard of living than they do today. According to the logic of your message, the intensity of class struggle in any country would simply be a function of the rate of exploitation in that country, which is demonstrably false, I think.