[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

the-squeeze at pulpculture.org the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Nov 19 08:36:40 PST 2003

At 03:50 PM 11/18/03 -0600, Shane Taylor wrote:
>kelley wrote:
> > effin' brill!
>
>Exactly! Gargantuan ditto.
>
>-- Shane

i read this first thing in the morn, before i'd even completed my first sip of joe! I thought that word was dildo. damn it. but hey, it's been giving me a chuckle at work! just thort i'd make ya blush! :)

i was thinking, also, that the unfortunate thing about all this is why do we think shock therapy is the way to get people to see the light?

is shock therapy what brought us to left analyses? did it require poverty for us? obviously not. did we need to have our nose shoved in poverty day in and day out? did it require that we lose loved ones to a senseless war to become anti-war activists? did it require that we experience what it's like to have middle class comforts ripped away? did it take the experience of a horrid employer who broke every labor law before we realized that labor unions might be a good idea?

carrol has some interesting ideas on this and, when i have time, i hope he won't mind if we carry on a more in-depth convo. it has to do with what he's spoken of as "building a left social movement" and, while I think we have similar ideas, i think we differ as to what constitutes participation in the project of building a left social movement.

carrol, you up for it? you seemed kind of busy lately, so I just wanted to check. at the moment, i'm swamped.

kelley