[lbo-talk] AI

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 19 11:36:02 PST 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> Searle says
> it won't be _conscious_, it won't be "there," it will
> lack that glow, whatever that is. Here there's no
> answer, there are only intuitions. Mine is that the
> Chinese room can think. Searle's, not.

Have you read Antonio Damasio's books on the brain & consciousness? Very crudely condensing two books (both of which are beyond my detailed understanding), he argues that human thought depends on a constant interplay between brain and body; hence the machine's (or the Chinese Room's) thinking would be qualitatively different because of the qualitative difference in the nature of its sensory apparatus.

Carrol