[lbo-talk] AI

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 11:42:03 PST 2003

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu>
> Have you read Antonio Damasio's books on the brain &
> consciousness? Very
> crudely condensing two books (both of which are
> beyond my detailed
> understanding), he argues that human thought depends
> on a constant
> interplay between brain and body; hence the
> machine's (or the Chinese
> Room's) thinking would be qualitatively different
> because of the
> qualitative difference in the nature of its sensory
> apparatus.

I haven't read them, I no longerto taht sort of thing. But I argued in an unpublished part of my dissertation that this sort of qualitative difference due to divergent sensory modalities was irrelevant to the issue that Searle raises in the Chinese Room argument, as he explains it in the atyicle Curtis cited, which is whether our thoughts have content. Different sensory modalities don't go tow hether we think, but to how we sense.

Searle contends that the Chinese room doesn't think _at all, it justa cts excatly as if it did. Which raises again the question Brian pushed about the difference that makes no difference. Also it puts me in mind of Dante's horrifying story about the damned in the Ninth Bolgia, whose crimes are so awful that they go to hell while still living, while their unensouled bodies walk about as if nothing was wrong.

jks