[lbo-talk] Fisk avoiding facts? really?

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Nov 20 07:13:05 PST 2003

cian wrote:
> The really odd thing about conspiracy theorists, is this
> childlike belief that every loose end can be tied up, and
> that contradictory facts/stories are impossible. Instead
> they dedicate lives fearlessly, and pointlessly, to hammering
> down every awkward contradiction. It seems like a waste,
> though I guess no more than any other hobby. It does tend
> to manifest itself in a more generalised paranoia. I've
> noticed for instance that acquaintances of mine have seen
> conspiracies in their personal lives, as well as on a more
> general scale. Odd.

Indicting the world to exonerate themselves, perhaps?

This is worth reposting:

"A phrase (it often happened when he was exhausted) kept cycling round and round, preconsciously, just under the threshold of lip and tongue movement: 'Events seem to be ordered into an ominous logic.' It repeated itself automatically and Stencil improved on it each time, placing emphasis on different words -- 'events _seem_'; 'seem to be _ordered_'; '_ominous_ logic' -- pronouncing them differently, changing the 'tone of voice' from sepulchral to jaunty: round and round and round. Events seem to be ordered into an ominous logic. He found paper and pencil and began to write the sentence in varying hands and type faces."

-- from _V._ by Thomas Pynchon

> Or howabout: Its odd that the passports were found so easily.
> Followed by an investigation into how likely that was (without
> jumping to conclusions in advance).

Like David Corn said of Mike Ruppert: he can't tell the difference between evidence and a lead. Actually, it is more like the inability to distinguish a _conviction_ from a lead.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!