[lbo-talk] Re: What's at stake?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Nov 20 08:18:27 PST 2003

>> A least I don't predict they'll win, just that they'll try almost anything
>> to avoid losing.
>>
>> Jenny Brown
>
>Dennis writes:
>Well, on this we can agree. Far from canceling the election, BushCo needs
>it and will make it one of the nastiest, foulest campaigns ever. The fact
>that the Repubs have shamelessly moved their NYC convention back to coincide
>with the third anniversary of 9/11 should be as big a tip-off there is. And
>willDean & the Dems blast BushCo for this cynical move? Will they say that
>BushCo is trying to turn nearly 3,000 dead into posthumous Repubs? That
>the GOP may as well copyright the numbers "9/11"? I have my doubts, but if
>done right it can be done.

So your argument is not really that things haven't gotten 'that bad,' it's simply, no, they won't postpone or cancel the elections, too much of a lightning rod, they'll figure out how to win them in other ways, perhaps even more craven and dismissive of popular will and the rule of law. OK. So now it's idle speculation, isn't it, what particular tactics they'll use to stay in power. They'll use whatever they can get away with, and--as I've been trying to argue--what they can get away with depends on us. They got away with unbelievable shit in Florida--more than I thought they ever could, much more. See the movie 'Unprecedented.' My point is we need to use the elections, not ignore them, because they are a point of struggle, not the only one, not even probably the most important one, but a significant area in which Bush is actually weak.

Jenny Brown