[lbo-talk] Fisk avoiding facts? really?

cian cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 12:58:15 PST 2003

Joseph: We'd moved on from conspiracy whackos, please try to keep up.

Carrol,

I agree to some extent, but I think you (and Chomsky) both underestimate the degree to which people in elites can convince themselves they're doing the right thing - and I think they really believe that for the most part (and even when they realise they're doing the wrong thing, they justify it as the lesser evil, difficulties of leadership, etc). I think its very difficult for most humans to do evil consciously - rather they have to construct justifications for what they do. Be it neoclassical economic arguments for selfishness, or the justifications for what we did in Iraq during the 90s. Arguably a major job of the court philosopher is to provide comforting lies to enable the Clintons of the world to sleep easy.

There's also the way in which the 90s changed the dynamic of mainstream debate, where it was taken for granted that welfare caused dependency, the market was better, etc. Clinton being more interested in power, than principal may just have been swaying with the wind. In a different intellectual climate, he may have responded differently. In general Clinton took the path of least resistance. I dunno, but I get very uncomfortable assigning motives to people I've never met.

Cian

_________________________________________________________________ Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos, and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx