[lbo-talk] RE: AI

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Nov 21 19:43:20 PST 2003

Jim writes:

"People and other organisms can overcome specific forms of conditioning by virtue of other forms of conditioning that they might experience but they cannot "overcome their conditioning" taken as a totality."

Says who? Although I'd argue that free-will and free-thought are contradictions, I do not think "freedom" is an empty word. Moreover, people can bring unconscious motivation and conditioning into consciousness. As for Skinner, he's not exactly what I'd call a deep thinker.

Joanna